because I know there are lots of 'Hague-haters' in the adoption world right now. I'm probably not a lover of it myself. I certainly think Guatemala's implementation of it (more appropriately the lack thereof), is tragic and sad. However, from much of what I've learned and researched, the U.S. implementation of the Hague really seems in intent to have a lot of elements to actually protect children, birth parents, and especially prospective adoptive parents, who previously really had no protections. And please realize that though the two do affect each other, they are absolutely separate in application. Is it perfect? No, I'm sure it's not, but neither am I. If you haven't noticed, I do have a few sidebar links that are actually pretty informative regarding this, including one directed specifically to PAP's.
What I really wanted to post about tonight though, isn't exactly that. My thoughts tonight are more to if anyone might be considering another adoption in the near future. I think they can probably apply regardless of how you feel about the Hague itself. If you do think of adopting again, I might encourage you to take a look at the list of currently approved providers as a start. I only know one of them firsthand, and they aren't perfect either, but I do respect them greatly. I say this about using the current list for these reasons. (A bit like my analogies of old). Let's consider their accreditation in light of your considered adoption. Lots of agencies not on the list right now might say, well, it was so expensive. Heads up, so is your adoption, and if they aren't willing to shell out the resources when it's in their own best interests, are they for you to help your adoption happen? How about there was just so much paperwork and info required. Again, if they can't handle it timely for themselves, how thoroughly and accurately are they going to review your box of paperwork you have to submit for your adoption? We just didn't have the staff. Well, will they have time for your questions, or will that have to wait, too? We didn't even get the requirements until a few months ago. Shouldn't they be out there seeking out what's up constantly, keeping up with any changes, and getting that info in the right hands? Or do you want to get stuck somewhere in the process because they didn't keep up and were always waiting on someone else to advise them of the changes? Maybe they have too many offices to get finished. Is that what you want, a risk of misinformation between so many folks?
I guess all I am saying is that the ones that are on the list by now, at least in theory, might be the ones who really knew their stuff, worked quickly, and did whatever it took to make sure they were where they needed to be when they needed to be there. Admittedly, it was their interests they were looking out for and not yours, but perhaps what I'm saying is they at least seem to have the capability to transfer that determination to your case.
I'm in no way saying there aren't other good ones. I must say my experience jaded me to the point I question if there might be ANY great ones. It's really just something I was thinking...
Feel free to grill me if you disagree. I like trying to see different sides of an issue, whether I always agree or not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good post with a lot of great things to think about.
Thanks for some great food for thought. If there's one thing I've learned from this process it's that nothing is black or white. There are no right or perfect answers. What seems like a good idea i.e., Hague implementation in a country with rampant coruption and very few funds to implement is maybe not such a good idea especially for the kids.
On the flip side, as you mentioned, implementation and oversight in a country with the checks and balances and resources necessary to accomplish this is a good idea and can provide parents in the adoption process with a bit more peace of mind and a few more resources to go to in times of trouble.
Another issue of nothing being black or white in our case is that our senator who I vehemently disagree with about almost everything has bent over backwards to have his office offer help and advice for adoptive parents in our state. From this I learned that while I might disagree with a person about their positions, most people are good at heart and are doing what they think is right and most people care about families being together quickly.
As for those few who don't have proper motivation for adoptive families, well...maybe the Hague certification process can help us to weed a little of this out.
Thanks again for making me think (my rusty brain can use a little prodding from time to time!)
yft
Post a Comment