As I know I've blogged about at least once before, from time to time I at least try to read up a bit on what's going on in politics. Trouble is, EVERY time I do, I am reminded how much I despise what is now American politics. Surely the circus we have today is not what the founding fathers really envisioned. They were very smart from everything I can tell. They were even smart enough not to create a democracy in America. Yes, I said America is not a real democracy. Look it up. It is in fact a democratic republic. There is a big difference. If you don't know the difference, well, I guess you have homework. That's what you get for visiting a blog called 'I was thinking...'. Sometimes you'll have to think for yourself a bit. Anyway, I digress.
I was reading this article talking yet again about the race that just won't end. Then near the end, on page 3, I saw something that once again made my skin crawl. According to this article, if you combine what all the candidates (past and present) have spent so far in this year's race, it totals out at 1 Billion dollars. That's right, Billion with a B. That's this: $1,000,000,000. Now I know I'm not to good with really any number ending with -illion as far as putting in context. The article did that for me, though. Basically, 1 billion dollars would almost fund the Red Cross' relief operations WORLDWIDE this year.
Instead, we get constant dueling soundbites, some signs and bumper stickers, commercials tearing opponents down, and late night comic fodder. What has gone so wrong?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment