This issue seems to have mostly disappeared from the headlines these days, but I did find it interesting for a few reasons. First, Russia didn't seem to give a flip what anyone else thought, which has to be a bit scary. They may not be what they once were, but they still I'm sure have more than enough to whip tiny Georgia and many many of its friends. (Perhaps even worse than Georgia in football last week. They had black eyes to match their uniforms before that was over.) I digress. It also helped remind me again that though Russia seems to be mentioned in the end times discussion in the Bible, the U.S. really doesn't seem to be.
However, the truly striking thing about it to me was how everything is presented to us. If I understood anything about what little I read on the issue, it seems to me like the two territories in question, really didn't want to be Georgian. They identify more with Russia. However, the U.S. and so many others say we must protect democracy in Georgia, but doing this, we're essentially forcing two groups who don't want to be a part of a country to remain there. How 'democratic' is that really? Anyway... Does that confuse anyone else?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment