"People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant." - Helen Keller

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Ark or Lighthouse...

That was a title of a Discipleship Training lesson back when I was probably in junior high. I can't really remember much of the details of the lesson, but it was a question about what the church should be. I think it was a neat thing to question, and something I think about a lot these days even though I am not involved in any way in our church leadership. I think the essence of the debate, provided by great theologians of the past I'm sure, was whether the church should be an ark of sorts, keeping Christians safe from the floods of the world, (maybe (hopefully) inviting others inside to escape the floods), or more like a lighthouse, standing tall and shining a light out into the world for weary lost travelers to find their way. As with most issues worthy of any debate, a balance of both sides is probably best. 
However, whatever brought this to mind again quite a while ago when I jotted a thought down to explore this again, also let me think of a third option. Really, rather than ark or lighthouse, I'm not sure we shouldn't as churches be more like Coast Guard cutters out on the stormy seas, actively searching amongst the torrential rains and waves, for those souls struggling. I'm just wondering if both the ark and lighthouse approach might be a bit too passive for our Jesus who said to us 'Go'. 

1 comment:

Paul and DeeDee said...

nice to see you blogging again... although I am sure you were spending your time with those cute kids of yours!