Go ahead, call me a heretic and a heathen. I can take it, because I still think that statement is true. It just sort of hit me to think that through a bit yesterday at church. So many times I think we do non believers and even fellow Christians a disservice by pretending it does. Someone please give me a reference if I'm wrong, but I don't recall where it ever claims itself to be completely exhaustive on everything. Where did we ever start trying to promote that idea like that? John 21:25 explicitly says it doesn't even tell us all the things Jesus himself did. It doesn't give us details on the dinosaurs or many other mysteries of science. It doesn't specify the best type of government, and certainly doesn't endorse a specific party we should follow without question. (no lightning yet?). Anyway, before I digress way too far, what I'm trying to get at is the Bible alone is not all we need. I'm just saying if the Bible in and of itself had all the answers, anyone who read it cover to cover wouldn't need anything further. However, what the Bible really shows us is that Jesus is the answer. He is what we really need. The Holy Spirit, through the Bible points us to Him who provides us what we need when we depend on Him. And what He really wants (according to the Bible) is us to depend on Him.
I guess my point could come down to saying that just knowing in your head what you've read doesn't mean anything, unless you believe in your heart also.
I know I should probably save this one for a time when I could better articulate it, but if I did that, it would probably never get done, so instead you just have my apologies for the poor writing. -T
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
not that it matters, but I did run across 'my point' for this post in something else I was reading.
See John 5:39-40.
Post a Comment