"People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant." - Helen Keller

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Some more reflections about David

I had a couple more thoughts as we continued on in 1 Samuel last week in Sunday School. The first came about when our teacher was asking for words to describe David. One thing that popped in my head during the conversation was perhaps a different thought than I'd had before. I sometimes tend to think of David as a bit impulsive, however, in so many ways, he was actually very patient. He certainly made many mistakes, but so many times he also waited on God, in spite of his own desires. He waited to be king many years as best I can tell. He also wanted to build the temple, but wasn't allowed to by God. There are some others, but those in particular came to mind. Just a little different way of looking at someone I've heard about so much.

The second thought was related to David's anointing as king long before he would actually become king. I guess this is one instance where God actually did give a heads up on how the story would play out, which is what we (I) seem to want so much of the time. However, I don't know about you, but I'd have to say that in so many ways this is a great example that knowing too much of the plan too soon isn't always such a good thing. David seemed to have a lot of trouble with this info in hand, getting spears thrown at him, having to act like a madman, living in caves and all.

No comments: