"People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant." - Helen Keller

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Do you want to get well?

I am always amazed by the Bible. It fascinates me how wonderful it is, and how each time you read something, even something very familiar, the Holy Spirit may show you something fresh and new if you're listening.
This time, I'm referring to the story of the man by the pool of Bethesda, found in John 5. I have thought many times before about Jesus question to the man: Do you want to get well?. What struck me most the most recent time I read it though, was the man's answer. He never really out and out says yes. In fact, he almost gives a list of excuses. I don't have anyone to help me. I'm not fast enough. Others get in my way.
Can't I be like that so many times with so many excuses? I am so thankful that Jesus healed him anyway.

No comments: