I've been kicking around these thoughts for a while now as I said before, but perhaps now more than ever is an appropriate time for this post, with a very large glimmer of hope on the horizon.
One of the things people so often say as they look at our story, or in talking to anyone with a difficult adoption, is that 'whenever this finally does end, you'll forget all about the struggles you're having now'.
Let me stop right now and make it extremely clear. First, I'm not really sure that's true, and secondly, I'm pretty sure I don't ever want it to be.
Now, I'm not offended by that statement, or saying it's a bad thing to say even. I know what they mean. However, I do want to reexamine things a bit.
Truth be told, no one likes to feel the slightest discomfort, much less pain, and whatever we can do to hide it, ignore it, cover it up, or make it go away, we'll do, even just 'forgetting it'. Sometimes though, we do just need to feel it. It is in our pain and weakness that Christ can make us strong (or more appropriately perhaps become our strength). Here's some words from a song by Carolyn Arends called 'Not Alone' that express this prettty well:
There are friends who offer comfort, and they mean well
But sometimes it’s like salt inside a wound
And it’s good to speak of heaven, when it feels more like hell
But we ask our hearts for healing much too soon
There’s a Man of Sorrows, acquainted with our grief
And He’s done His share of crying in the night with no relief
There isn’t any heartache that He has not known
So we are not alone.
(You could also check out 'Fragile' by Carolyn Arends also for some similar thoughts.)
Before I get even further off my original course though, let me get back to saying that Deuteronomy Chapter 8 has been one of my favorite passages in the Bible since college. No, I'm not sure how or why I really came across it, but I first really remember it having meaning for me when my former youth minister asked me to do a devotion for the youth kids at a lock-in I had come home to help with.
Contextually, it is before the Israelites enter the promised land. And the Lord takes a moment to say 'remember'. To save space and typing, you can read the passage here. I really hope you'll take the time to do so.
As far as commentary, I guess I'd just remind you that as verse 2 says: Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way...to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands.
Whatever your journey has been or still is, the Lord does have a purpose for you. If or when your adoption or any other painful journey is complete, be sure you read further and don't fall into the trap of thinking your prosperity or well being is due to your own power or ability.
Don't forget the struggles you've gone through. Remember them and praise the Lord for his goodness through them. He was and is with you.
It will be good for you, and for those around you.
I do have to say thanks in this to the many, many special families we've met, who continue to cheer us on, long after their personal adoption struggles have ended. You all amaze me so much that you stick around, cringing, hoping, sighing, celebrating, and most importantly praying with us.
I hope this was coherent. I am a bit tired.
Know for those of you still hanging in there, I'm praying for you, too.
Thank you all again for reading.
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow. That was perfectly said. My heart truly needed to hear that today. I am speechless...
d
Still here. I keep reading this over and over. And over. May I post some of this on my blog (giving you credit)?
D,
Absolutely.... no credit needed... and I'm definitely still praying for ALL your kiddos...
- dad2aandj - Tim
Post a Comment