"People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant." - Helen Keller

Thursday, February 28, 2008

It is done...

There are several reasons for my not posting lately. If you read my wife's blog, you know one was me getting sick. Thankfully I have recovered. The other has had to do with having another task I needed to complete. Before I felt I could begin to say some of the things I still need to say here, I needed to have the letter already written to go directly to the people involved. As the title indicates, I sealed that letter a few moments ago to be dropped in the mail tomorrow.

Now is still not yet the time to go into all the details, but if you've read my blog for any length of time, you have to have some idea that our experiences were not pleasant working with them during our adoption. While there are perhaps some details you do know, I assure you there are many others you may not. Even in saying this much, I do not want to be vindictive, but I must be open and honest.

Everything from all different parts of my life has been reassuring me that it was absolutely necessary for me to send this letter. From my Bible study, to TV shows I happened upon asking 'What would you do' in the face of various injustices, to some Curious George Soundtrack songs I got at the library, to quotes on blogs of people I really respect, to the new Matthew West CD - Something to Say... and on and on.

Please don't take anything I say on this blog over the next few weeks as me trying to dictate your experience with them to you. If you have received good service and respect from them, then I am happy for you. Unfortunately, we did not, and I know of too many others who suffered similar (or even worse) treatment. Many of them perhaps were not in a place to speak up for those behind them for whatever reason. Some are still in process and live in the fear of retaliation.

The blog quote that I mentioned has been working on me a while about this. It says:
'...once our eyes are opened we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act.'

I don't know who said it, but as I said, it's been working on me a while about speaking up about our experience. If you are indeed someone else who had a bad experience with Special Delivery, or even someone who had a good one, AND ARE THROUGH WITH THE ENTIRE PROCESS, then I'd encourage you to speak up in whatever way you feel at peace with as well. There are at least a few avenues to pursue.

In attempting to find a reference for the above quote, I found a few more I'll also share.

Oppression can only survive through silence. - Carmen de Monteflores

The truth is the kindest thing we can give folks in the end. - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

One last remark. If you are still in process and do choose to respond via a comment, I highly recommend you do so anonymously for your own safety and peace of mind. If you need me for anything, we'll figure out some way to make contact privately.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I love the MLK jr quote. I will have to use that one on my blog.

Praying for you in this. And praying justice is served.

d

Anonymous said...

Thank you for speaking out for all of us who can not yet do this.

The worst place to be in this process is alone. Reading your blog and contacting your family off line has been tremendously helpful to me.

If you had not shared your story our family would feel completely lost right now. I can honestly say that the reason I sleep at night is because of your family's help.

I am sure that by continuing to share your story you are helping countless more people, not only those using your agency, but others in the same boat with other agencies.

Thank you, and God Bless you.

Yft