As you can see if you've been reading my wife's blog over the past few days, we're still doing well. We're staying pretty tired, but enjoying being a family. They are both some funny kids. I love them so much.
I really do hope to blog more soon. I've been trying to keep a running list of topics I'd like to cover.
One of the thoughts that I've been thinking about a lot is how we handle adversity and suffering. One day, waiting on some programs to run at work, I found the following. It was written by Phyllis Groff, a Mennonite missionary in Guatemala. She's a very special person, though I've never met her. She actually is a big part of our adoption story, as it was through her and their work that our son came to EN. (for a little more info, click here).
This was on her blog last year speaking about Holy Week in Guatemala:
"I pondered the activities of the Holy Week. In the U.S. we put our major emphasis on the joy of the resurrection and sing happy songs on Easter Sunday morning. Here more emphasis is placed on the suffering of Jesus and much thought is given to how we can identify with his suffering. Could it be that the people of Guatemala live with suffering and so are drawn to identify with the suffering of Jesus? While we in the States like to pretend that suffering doesn’t exist or that it is far from us. We like the victory and joy of the resurrection. We quickly pass over the sad part that includes pain and suffering and go on to the happy ending. I believe that Jesus wants us to ponder both his suffering and the victory of the resurrection story. "
She's right, all to often we focus only on the happy ending of everything, never taking in the lessons in the suffering itself. We are at that happy ending now, but I'm also hoping that the many lessons I learned through our process benefit me from here on out, and maybe also encourage some of you as well.
I'm still praying for all of you, my dear friends. Thanks for what each of you have meant to us through this.
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment