Honestly, I'm still wrapping my head around all that was today. Yes, it was Father's Day, but as wonderful as that was, it was a bit on the backburner since today was also J's dedication day at church. Now, normally I don't make much of parent/baby dedication. Since I'm being honest, it's nice and all, but just something that I have never made much of a fuss over. Sort of one of those things everyone just does just because. And going into it this week, I feared it more than I was excited about it. J just has shown us things over the past few weeks and I wasn't sure how he'd handle it. I was scared we'd have 'the meltdown' in front of the world. And really I didn't want that for him, as I finally feel like this week was the first week I've felt good about our progress here in a while.
So, it went superb. I told my wife, that if I could have imagined it going as great as possible, I wouldn't have imagined him doing that well. Thinking about this day, I went through many variations of what I might like done or said: If I wanted someone to say his verse in Spanish, how much to mention about the adoption, what dates to list, etc. In the end, it was extremely simple, nothing different from any other family, the word adoption never mentioned, and it was perfect. And during the dedicatory prayer, so much emotion filled me that I'm still not sure what it was all about. I held it together, but inside I have to tell you I was swirling. Even after we took the kids out, had a few more pics, and then came back in, I couldn't even sing along with one of the songs for fear of the tears streaming down. Not sad tears, just that uncontrollable emotion that leaks out the eyes because it just can't stay in.
Then, the sermon, with no human coordination at all, because our interim pastor doesn't usually get then info on baby dedications until the day of, came from Galatians 4:1-7. It discussed what else, but our adoption as sons.
Like I said, I still can't wrap my head around all that happened or exactly what I was feeling today. But I'll try to spit some of it out if I can make it make sense.
The now prior Int'l Director (among many others) at our in town agency says that he feels EVERY Christian should at least consider if God may lead them to adoption. I cannot help but agree. It definitely isn't for everyone, but it really should be considered. So many times I've heard people say they just can't understand adoption. If you as a Christian can't 'understand' adoption, how can you really understand God's adoption of us. That is exactly what it is, and those are the Bible's words, not mine.
The other thing I think I'm learning is that just like I'm learning new things all the time about my salvation and life in Christ, and all that really means, I am even still learning more and more about this adoption. It's not something that has happened in the past and is now done, but something that's still developing and growing as well.
Love to you all. Thanks for your continued prayers. Know my prayers continue for you all as well. - T
Sunday, June 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
"So many times I've heard people say they just can't understand adoption. If you as a Christian can't 'understand' adoption, how can you really understand God's adoption of us. That is exactly what it is, and those are the Bible's words, not mine."
Amen.
Thank-you for saying that. And blessings on your dedication of J.
d:)
I love your story of this day. I have read it many times.
I love the beauty of prior stories you've told about J feeling safe enough in the sanctuary of his family to release the emotions he needs to get out.
Now here is a story of you feeling an incredible release of emotions in the sanctuary of the House of God.
Your beautiful family continues to teach me, and it is an honor to walk with you on your journey.
Therese
Post a Comment